Saturday, August 27, 2016

Books that I read this summer. | Summer 2016

Hello everyone.:)


In today's post since summer it's nearly over I'm going to talk you about the books that I read this summer.




This summer I managed to read seven books and for some people these may not be a lot but it's the first time that I read that many books in that amount of time (two and a half months) and I'm really happy about that but I wish I could read more. So lets get on with the books because it's going to be a long post. :)

The first book that I read, that I actually had read half of it before summer is Girl Online On Tour by Zoe Sugg also know as Zoella in the YouTube community.



Because I'm not good at writing summaries for books here is the summary for the first book which is called Girl Online:

Penny has a secret. 

Under the alias Girl Online, Penny blogs her hidden feelings about friendship, boys, high school drama, her quirky family, and the panic attacks that have begun to take over her life. When things go from bad to worse at school, her parents accept an opportunity to whisk the family away for Christmas at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City. There, she meets Noah, a gorgeous, guitar-strumming American. Suddenly Penny is falling in love—and capturing every moment she spends with “Brooklyn Boy” on her blog.

But Noah has a secret, too, one that threatens to ruin Penny’s cover—and her closest friendship—forever.

And for Girl Online On Tour:


Penny's bags are packed.

When Noah invites Penny on his European music tour, she can't wait to spend time with her rock-god-tastic boyfriend.

But, between Noah's jam-packed schedule, less-than-welcoming bandmates and threatening messages from jealous fans, Penny wonders whether she's really cut out for life on tour. She can't help but miss her family, her best friend Elliot . . . and her blog, Girl Online.

Can Penny learn to balance life and love on the road, or will she lose everything in pursuit of the perfect summer?

I'm going to write a small review about every book because I'm going to write individual posts about every book that I've read.
Both books took me about twelve hours to read. Once I got them I couldn't put them down. I remember when I got the first one I stayed reading it until half past two in the morning.
I'm not a big fun of romantic books even though I love romance and romantic people and I loved this series.
So all I'm going to say without spoiling anyhting is that this book is an emotion roller coaster and a lot things happen. You will be happy and then you will start crying.
Overall both of the books are on my favourites list and I would totally recommend them even if you don't like romantic novels.


Next book which I also read the half of it before summer is Catching Fire by one of my faves Suzanne Collins.



In case you haven't read or don't know what happens in the first book here is the summary for The Hunger Games:

The nation of Panem, formed from a post-apocalyptic North America, is a country that consists of a wealthy Capitol region surrounded by 12 poorer districts. Early in its history, a rebellion led by a 13th district against the Capitol resulted in its destruction and the creation of an annual televised event known as the Hunger Games. In punishment, and as a reminder of the power and grace of the Capitol, each district must yield one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 through a lottery system to participate in the games. The 'tributes' are chosen during the annual Reaping and are forced to fight to the death, leaving only one survivor to claim victory.

When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives. , she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.

And the summary for Catching Fire:

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

The Hunger Games were the first English books that I got and they were the books that got me into reading. But Catching Fire is actually the book that took me the longest to read and probably one of the reasons why that happened is that I watched the movie first. The order that I read the series was first The Hunger Games which took me less time than Catching Fire and I had watched the movie first too, then I read a little bit of Catching Fire and when part one of The Mockingjay came out I stopped reading it and then started The Mockingjay because I wanted to find out what was going to happen in part two which I read it in a few days. And this summer I finished Catching Fire.
Catching Fire was my least favourite from the series but I don't hate it. Another thing that slowed me down was the part of the book before the games started, it was long in my opinion but after that things got better and towards the end of the book I couldn't put it down.


The next one that I fully finished in summer like the ones that are left is Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas who is probably going to be one of my favourite authors. 



Throne of Glass is the first book of the series Throne of Glass and the summary is:

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for four years and then be granted her freedom. Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her ... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead ... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.

First things first this was such a fun book to read!It took me only a few days to finish it and I want so much to continue with the series but because of school I won't be able to read any books.👎🏻 
I love the way Sarah J. Maas wrote this and I looove the story and everything about the world that the books takes place into (also who ships Celaena and Dorian?)!
Everything is amazing and I can tell that this series is going one of my most favourite fantasy series.
I seriously don't have to say anything else to say! It's perfect! :)


Now we have Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.




The summary for Gone Girl is:

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

Most of you, if not all of you have heard about Gone Girl, even as a movie or as a book. I first knew that it was a book and then I find out that there was a movie about it. But actually the first time that I heard about it was from people saying that is similar to The Girl On The Train or that they suggested it if you have read TGOTT (which I have), so when summer came I decided to buy it and she what the fuzz was all about.
To be honest I was a little bit disappointed... Don't get me wrong I love how it was written (I actually want to read "Dark Places" also by Gillian Flynn) but it was a slow book. It took me kinda a long time to finish. The part when the book became a page turner was from the middle until a little bit before the end. Before and after that it was a little bit boring but that is just because not a lot of things were happening. Like everyone says there a lot of plot twists (really big ones so be aware) but after all it was kinda a good book and again I love the way Gillian wrote it. The parts were the action was were written perfectly but if I had to suggest Gone Girl or The Girl On The Train I would pick The Girl On The Train. 
Also read the book first and then watch the movie!!!



Next we are going to one of my top three favourite books at the moment which is Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two by the amazing J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Throne. 



The summary for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is:

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.


While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.



All of you know (probably) that Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two is the script book for the play that happened and it's still happening in London.

It's the first script book that I've read and it only took me eight hours (I know a lot of people read it less than that) which was really good time for me (also because it was in script form it was easier to read). 
I actually love it even though it was kinda like fanfiction like a lot people have said but I still adore it! That is why it's in my top three! So many things happened but I'm going to write a big review about in the near future so I don't want to say anything else about it! But I highly recommend it if you are thinking of reading it!


The second to last is a classic and is Sherlock Holmes: A study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.




The summary for A study in Scarlet is:

In the debut of literature's most famous sleuth, a dead man is discovered in a bloodstained room in Brixton. The only clues are a wedding ring, a gold watch, a pocket edition of Boccaccio's Decameron, and a word scrawled in blood on the wall. With this investigation begins the partnership of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. Their search for the murderer uncovers a story of love and revenge-and heralds a franchise of detective mysteries starring the formidable Holmes.

As you can probably tell the copy that I have is in Greek which is my first language so I don't know if I'm going to be a fair judge because the translations of the books from English to Greek aren't really the best.
I love the TV series of Sherlock and I actually got this from a newspaper that had the Sherlock Holmes books so I grabbed the issue (if it's called like that) that had the first book.
I was really excited to read this not just because of the TV series because from when I was little I would hear about Sherlock Holmes and I always wanted to read one of the books and it was


From what I could tell it was well written and the story was extraordinary (trying to use fancy words for this one). It was a small book but it was much much bigger on the inside (another Doctor Who reference...wow). So many things happened in such a few pages which is one of the many reasons why I loved it!
Also I want to give a huge shoutout to Steven Moffat for writing the first episode of Sherlock which is called A study in pink and is based on A study in Scarlet. The thing that amazed me the most is how well Moffat made a 1887 script into a 2010 script. If you have seen the first episode, the book is exactly the same (well of course with huge parts of the story missing because is a one hour TV series episode and some changes that had to happen because of that ) but in a 1887 lifestyle, for example the taxi driver in the book is a horse carriage rider (excuse me if it's called something else) which was the basic way to get around in that time. So great job Moffat.
If you want to read a Sherlock Holmes book go for it! I'm definitely going to read all of them.


Last but not least is another Harry Potter book and it's Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

  



The summary for it is:

All Harry Potter wants is to get away from the Dursleys and go back to Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby - who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor, Gilderoy Lockheart, a spirit named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girls' bathroom, and the unwanted attentions of Ron Weasley's younger sister, Ginny.

But each of these seem minor annoyances when the real trouble begins, and someone--or something--starts turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects... Harry Potter himself.

Yes I haven't read all the Harry Potter books, yes I have only watched the movies (well now I've read the first two books) and I only started reading Harry Potter around April and to be to be honest with you I was told by my cousins when I was little to read Harry Potter but I wasn't really into books back then and now I hate little me for not reading them earlier but better late than never!Right?
So I read this one much faster than the first one and one of reasons was maybe because I had to watch the movie for a very long time so the things that were happing came back to me when I was reading the book which didn't happen with Philosopher's stone which I watched before I read the book with my dad (great idea Cat). 
Of course I love the way that it's written (same with book number one), the details, the story and basically everything are perfectly written. I haven't read a lot of books and I have a ton of books that I want to read from different authors but for now Rowlings is my most favourite female author.
And that's is all I have to say about Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in this post because again I'm going to write different posts for every book.


So that's the end of my "Books that I read this summer" post! :) I hope you liked it and didn't get bored/tired while reading it because it's really long.
Also if I have anything that I have to change in my writing please let me know so I can get better at it.

I'm going to talk you in my next post and until then I hope you'll, beautiful, wonderful, amazing, full with happiness days.❤️





No comments:

Post a Comment